Sunday, May 28, 2006


My Dad--Papaw--'s Legacy


My youngest neice, Lisa, is a talented singer-song writer in a raw blues/jazz tradition--finalist in the 2005 BMI John Lennon Songwriter's Contest, and headed to North Texas State University on scholarship in the Applied Jazz Vocalist track. (Hear a sample of her music including her John Lennon Songwriter's finalist song, "Journey" at Porch Swing Sessions.)

Lisa posted the following tribute to my dad--called Papaw by all the grandkids--on her blog recently:

My PaPaw has been visiting us this week. He is magical. He feeds squirrels from his hands. He speaks the language of all fruit bearing plants and they tell him exactly when and which to pick. He sits by the lake and fish jump from the water onto the land beside him. His wisdom does not require words for expression. He can sleep at anytime, but always wakes up before any important happenings. He speaks only fleetingly of pain, and never before the task is complete. I'm blessed to have him in my family.


My oldest daughter, Camille, remarked to me how incredibly Lisa captured the essence of my dad in those words. I have to agree.

My dad is an incredible person, known by most in my home county in Arkansas and beloved by nearly everyone. I've been more than fortunate to have him in my life.





2 Comments:

Blogger heiresschild said...

what a beautiful tribute to your dad by lisa. it's always nice to receive "flowers" while we're living to appreciate them. in this case, of course, it's the tribute that's a blessing. how wonderful for the grandchildren to see papaw's wisdom and how special he is. i'm sure this tribute made his day.

7:34 PM, June 09, 2006  
Blogger Dale Savage said...

Thanks for your kind words Sylvia.

My sister also showed my dad what Lisa had written. Because of who he is, he didn't make a fuss, but I believe he was touched deeply.

ciao, my friend,
Dale

11:23 PM, June 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


States I've visited are in red.

(Create your own personalized map of the USA).